Sunday, December 16, 2007

Web Site Hijacked

My domain name northeastitaly.com got hijacked, stolen as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the time for renewal was up but I did not get a notice and now I find out that someone else owns the name. I'm guessing people do this as a business. They watch names ready to expire and jump on them hoping the owner will want to buy it back at a much higher price. Well I was thinking it might have given a bit too much personal information about where we live and so on so maybe it's better that it's gone for now. But the whole idea of it is very disturbing.

5 comments:

  1. That *is* disturbing, and you're probably right--I'm sure there are people paid to sit around and just wait for domains to expire. Mah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to remove the link to the thieves you still have to the left in the "friends, family, and people who link to us"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks anonymous, I thought I had removed that. Having looked at the site in quesiton I now realize what they are up to. They steal the sites that have built up a little following and then use them to just post sponsored links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It doesn't actually take someone to sit around. There are bots and paid services which can automatically compile lists of domains and expiry dates and check after the expiration to try and activate a lapsed domain.

    The fact that you did or didn't get a renewal notice is more the fault of the registrar you used to register or the hosting company used to maintain the domain (if it was registered through the hosting) than whoever bought it, snapping it up as soon as it was officialy available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not surprised, funny thing is the registry co. insists that they sent me several notices but I did not get even one. And they don't seem to have any problem sending me their advertising so I know they have the address.

    ReplyDelete