Monday, March 10, 2008

Birthdays

Today is my wife Luisa's birthday. What has happened to birthdays, they used to be so important and what a difference between the way they seem to Italians vs Americans. Even on my birthday many of the Italian relatives, all mine only by marriage, call me some even give gifts. But on the American side, it seems most people are too caught up in the day to day struggle to remember. What makes the difference, I don't know. Are Americans more self centered or is life just that much harder there, or is it the difference in attitudes about family in general.

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday to Luisa!

    It's funny though b/c the Italians around me *really* don't make a big deal of birthdays, which I definitely miss from home--always was a huge deal there.

    So I guess I don't think this is one of those things you can generalize; my American friends and family still celebrate my birthday from far away (and I've been here 5 years) whereas my "new" Italian family and friends really don't seem to bother for anyone besides children (not just me).

    ReplyDelete