Monday, January 14, 2008

The Pencil

Is this an Italian trait, I don't know. But this is how it goes. My Italian wife, and architecture partner has a habit of grabbing the pencil out of my hand whenever she wants to talk when we are having a joint design session. Now for me if I have a pencil or any other object in my hand no one has permission to take it away from me. In fact I get really irritated if they do.

So we are doing an addition for her brother who lives in Canada, he has been here in Italy and we have had several design sessions with the three of us. What I noticed is that he and his sister grab the pencil back and forth from each other as each starts to talk or point to something in a sketch. This is in spite of the fact that I made several sharpened pencils available sitting there on the table. It seems that symbolically the pencil determines who has the floor for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment